Show your sketches

Moderator:mdmattin

Andre Jute
one of the regulars
Re: Sketches from Andre

Post by Andre Jute » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:55 pm

ImageImage
andre_jute_water_pump_acrylic_on_canvas_in_a5_rustic_custom_book_2014_800pxh

And here's my sketch of it, a humble, slightly comical water pump.
Last edited by Andre Jute on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Post by Andre Jute » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:59 pm

While I was painting the above, this converstation ensued with a sturdy lady who was walking her dog:

Lady (outraged): But you've given it a thing like an elephant!

Me (brassed off at the impertinence of interrupting me): What thing of an elephant, madam?

Lady: I shall certainly mention this to your wife!

Me: Don't forget to tell her about the elephant's thing.

Lady, outraged (to dog): Come on, George, come on!

I painted George quickly on the waxed paper I bind into canvas sketch books to serve as disposable palettes:

andre_jute_george_a_lapdog_playing_at_being_a_psychotic_wolf_in_hiding_acrylic_monotone_on_wax_paper_2014
Last edited by Andre Jute on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

Alitogata
one of the regulars

Post by Alitogata » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:44 am

Andre Jute wrote:While I was painting the above, this converstation ensued with a sturdy lady who was walking her dog:

Lady (outraged): But you've given it a thing like an elephant!

Me (brassed off at the impertinence of interrupting me): What [img]thing[/img] of an elephant, madam?

Lady: I shall certainly mention this to your wife!

Me: Don't forget to tell her about the elephant's thing.

Lady, outraged (to dog): Come on, George, come on!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaa...
Tell me that you manage then to continue painting and not fell down laughing ... :lol:

Post the sketch of the sunflowers please and if is not that good take it as a first attempt and try one more time. The game has no limit of how many times you'll try to paint something. Mine wasn't that good either and I will try to make it one more time. Is not the easiest thing in the world to paint buntches of flowers. I declare unrelated to this subject. :lol: :oops:

Have a look here please.. And comment objectively.

I'll try the water pump now..

Alitogata
one of the regulars

Post by Alitogata » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:20 am

Water pump.. The photo is a mess but anyway.. Just to get an idea.. I'll scan it tomorrow.

ETA A better quality photo
Attachments
Water Pump.JPG
Water Pump.JPG (158.02KiB)Viewed 6091 times

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Post by Andre Jute » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:18 pm

What a superb draughtman you are, Alitogata. I like your solution to the background fighting the gestalt of the image, which caused me just to leave it out.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

Alitogata
one of the regulars

Post by Alitogata » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:01 pm

What does gestalt means?? :?: :oops: What did you leave out?

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Post by Andre Jute » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:59 pm

Gestalt is an organized whole that is perceived as more than the sum of its parts. In this case I found the whole of the pump and its background confusing, so I left out the background. Your solution was instead to make the background less specific than the pump and its basin.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

Alitogata
one of the regulars

Post by Alitogata » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:40 pm

You shouldn't get confused. The point was to paint the pump. The rest are irrelevant so you either had to leave them out as you did, or to suggest them as I did.
Thanks for the definition of the word.. ( I'll improve my use of English here... :D ) :)

ETA Check the sunflowers painting post. I uploaded a scanned image in order to see what I told you abou the background which was opaque.

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Post by Andre Jute » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:27 am

Just as well to tell people in a separate new post when you make a significant edit to an old post -- I see now that edits to old posts are not listed in "unread messages".

By the way, congratulations on selling the painting. The buyer will have years of pleasure from it.

I'm a professional intellectual; I'm never confused. What I meant by "I found" was that I observed that the background and the foreground confused each other, specifically that the ambience of a semi-industrial shopping estate (by its placement in a green belt already bizarre) fights the rustic purity of the ancient water pump. Apologies if I didn't make that as clear as I might have.

There are other artists who may like the philosophical contrast, and make something visual of it, perhaps by inserting a large harvester having new tyres fitted at the tyre supply place in the background. Hell, I was once one of them, but now I prefer simplification and omission.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

e.larsen
one of the regulars

Post by e.larsen » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:17 am

^ professional elephant tamer; amateur diplomat.
my sketching blog is at: http://www.etagelarsen.com/blog/

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Post by Andre Jute » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:41 am

A diplomat is a man who lies for his country. I'm happy to be an amateur.

Are you going to play Alitogata's game, Eric? Post a photo, make a sketch? Her wine cellar would look good in your ink style.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

Alitogata
one of the regulars

Post by Alitogata » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:23 am

@e.larsen
Please please.. play ..
Well I just saw what you have posted here and I have to say... that I have nothing to say.!! :lol: I'm speechless. :shock:
I wish I could for once paint like you did in this painting.

http://www.sketching.cc/forum3/viewtopi ... 629#p19629

I wish I was that abstractive or could use the way you did watercolors. Excellent work Eric and I very very happy that I saw some of your paintings, though you haven't posted that many here. ( don't you have a site or something to see more? )

@Andre You promote the game my friend, but you haven't yet posted any sketch of none of the two of our photos. I insist that you have to post the sketch that you made on your Sunflowers no matter how bad you find it. After all nobody can be very objective for his works, and all of us judge strictly ourselves.If you don't post it, how will we be able to tell you after all, if the sketch was indeed that bad ( which doesn't matter because the game is not about competition but about study and improve).

For me playing such a game, which in fact is working the same subject with other sketchers and painters, is a great chance to get better, because I don't have people in my circle sketching and especially working with watercolors and I'm not connected to any local artists' community.
Until recently I didn't upload my works too. A friend of mine suggested that I should do so and gave me a subdomain and hosted my blog on his server.That is the reason of the massive uploads on my blog. I'm not the type of blogger too and that is the reason my posts are without any descriptions or comments. I don't know what to write there and I don't feel comfortable to reply to any comments. I prefer the more direct way of communication than answering to any stranger's comments that might will not come back to read it

In any case this is a very nice forum... friendly supportive and cool..

Eric you must play.. And Rajesh who's sketches are wonderful must play too. :)

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Post by Andre Jute » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:12 pm

Alitogata wrote: @Andre You promote the game my friend, but you haven't yet posted any sketch of none of the two of our photos.
Eh? Besides you, I'm the only one who has posted a sketch in your game, of the water pump.
Alitogata wrote: I insist that you have to post the sketch that you made on your Sunflowers no matter how bad you find it. After all nobody can be very objective for his works, and all of us judge strictly ourselves.If you don't post it, how will we be able to tell you after all, if the sketch was indeed that bad ( which doesn't matter because the game is not about competition but about study and improve).
I didn't say my sunflower sketch was "bad". What I said was, "I made a five-minute sketch of the sunflowers from life but it didn't turn out brilliantly." I repurposed the canvas immediately, a process novelists call "murdering your darlings"; I don't subscribe to that nonsense of not being able to judge your own work. But today, while preparing another photograph for publication, I saw that I did photograph it. Since you insist, here is my sketch from that sunflower photo.

Andre Jute Five Minute Sketch of Blue Vase, acrylic on canvas, 8x6in, 2014
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Post by Andre Jute » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:26 pm

Out on my bicycle with my pochade box, painting en plein air.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

Alitogata
one of the regulars

Post by Alitogata » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:44 pm

It doesn't have flowers because you obviously didn't photographed them, but has nice impressionistic mix of colors and is not that bad after all for a five minute sketch. Are these oils or acrylics? If yes I think that they are not so convenient for five minute sketches. Unless you work them with painting knife straight from the tubes.
Ireland is very beautiful country judging by the view.. And your bike as well but better take off the reflectors because they affect the rotation of the wheels.
Last edited by Alitogata on Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.